Instructions for Summer 2017 Registration
On-line registration for Summer 2017 begins at 12:01 am on April 19, 2017, and ends at 11:59 pm on May 26, 2017.
The registration process comprises four steps, each governed by specific rules and deadlines:
- Plan Your Schedule
- Guidance, Rules & Instructions for all Summer Courses
- Special Rules & Instructions for Specific Summer Courses
- Determine Your Payment Amount & Deadlines
- Register for Courses
- Add/Drop Period
1. Plan Your Schedule
1a. Guidance, Rules & Instructions for all Summer Courses
- When selecting courses, consult the following materials and resources:
- Credit Limits
- Maximum: Total credits for summer school enrollment may not exceed 7 credits unless you are enrolling in the 8 credit externship. A maximum of 10 credits will be allowed if a student wishes to enroll concurrently in the 8 credit externship and the Civil Rights Seminar. Written permission from the Academic Dean, LaShanda Adams, is required to exceed these limits. To obtain permission, complete and submit the Permission to Exceed Term Limit Form (pdf) and submit it to the Registrar’s office by May 26, 2017.
- Minimum: To receive financial aid, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 credits, including Turbo courses.
- Any summer school course is subject to cancellation if enrollment is low.
1b. Special Rules & Instructions for Specific Summer Courses
- Clinic (7 credits): Clinic assignments are determined by a lottery, which closed April 3rd. Students will be notified of the results by email and will receive specific instructions. The Registrar’s Office will enroll students into their assigned clinics. Once enrolled, students may not drop clinic from their schedule unless they have notified the Registrar and have received permission from Associate Dean Hannah Lieberman.
- Criminal Law (3 credits): Only participants in the Jump Start and Fresh Start Programs are permitted to enroll.
- Externship (4 or 8 credits): Permission is required prior to enrollment. Please complete the Externship Registration Form (pdf) and meet with Professors William Robinson or Dena Bauman.
- Independent Study & Elective Clinics: Enrollment will be entered by the Registrar’s Office and will not be entered until the respective registration forms, found on the Forms & Schedules page, for these courses are approved and submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
- Moot Court (2 credits): Spaces are limited for Moot Court, and section assignments may be adjusted at a later date in order to balance enrollment. Rising 3L’s will be given preference. Professors will be assigned to each section when on-line registration closes.
- Turbo Courses are intensive classes compressed into a short time period; their class schedules differ from the standard time frame set on the Academic Calendar. Descriptions appear in the Course Catalog. For dates and times, please refer to:
the Summer 2017 Turbo Course Schedule for:
and the Summer 2017 Course Schedule for:
- Critical Race Theory (1 credit)
- Legal Drafting (2 credits)
- Asylum and Refugee Law (1 credit)
- Systems Change (1 credit)
2. Determine Your Payment Amount and Deadlines
If you register on-line, any tuition and fees not covered by financial aid must be paid by May 30, 2017. Your course selections may be deleted if the total bill has not been paid by this deadline.
If you register in-person or late, any charges for tuition and fees not covered by financial aid must be paid immediately on-line to avoid an unpaid balance.
Summer school tuition is charged on a per credit basis. For Summer 2017, tuition rates for matriculating, non-matriculating and visiting students are $391 per credit hour for D.C. residents and $780 per credit hour for non-District residents, plus applicable fees. The Tuition Management System payment plan (TMS) is not available for the summer session.
All students are required to have health insurance coverage. If you are currently covered by the University-sponsored health insurance plan, your coverage will extend through the summer term. If you received a waiver from the University-sponsored plan during the academic year, your waiver will extend through the summer term. All other students will be automatically enrolled in the university-sponsored health insurance plan and will be charged the summer school rate. The deadline for new students to waive the coverage is May 28, 2017. Please visit the University's Student Health Insurance page for additional information.
3. Register for Courses
A. On-line Registration (for Matriculating Students only) — April 19 - May 26, 2017
- To register on-line, log into myUDC between 12:01 am on April 19th and 11:59 PM on May 26th.
- After on-line registration closes on May 26th, all subsequent course changes must be made by completing the Course Change Form (pdf) and submitting it to the Registrar's Office.
- If you have trouble with your log-in and/or PIN, please visit the Help Desk in Building 41, Room 316, or call 202.274.5941, or email email@example.com for assistance.
B. In-Person Registration — May 30, 2017
- Visiting and non-matriculating students, and any matriculating student who did not register on-line, must register in person for summer courses.
- To register in person, complete the On-Site & Late Registration Form (pdf) and bring it to the Registrar's Office, Building 52, Suite 212.
- Visiting and non-matriculating students must bring their letters of acceptance from the Office of Admission.
- Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration and must be paid immediately on-line or at the Cashier’s Office in Building 39, 2nd floor.
C. Late Registration — May 31 - June 2, 2017
- To register late, complete the On-Site & Late Registration Form (pdf) and bring it in person to the Registrar’s Office, Building 52, Suite 212.
- A late registration fee of $150.00 will be posted to your account.
- Summer registration ends at 5:00 pm on Friday, June 2, 2017.
AFTER ON-LINE REGISTRATION CLOSES ON MAY 26TH, ALL COURSE CHANGES MUST BE MADE BY COMPLETING THE COURSE CHANGE FORM (PDF) AND SUBMITTING IT TO THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE.
The Add/Drop period is May 31-June 2, 2017. If a course change results in additional tuition and fees, those charges must be paid on-line at the time of the transaction. Add/Drop ends at 5:00 pm on June 2, 2017. For additional dates, refer to the Summer 2017 Academic Calendar (pdf).