Associate Professor of Law
Associate Dean and Director, Mason Law Library
Helen Frazer directs the Charles M. & Hilda H. M. Mason
Law Library and the first year Legal Research program, and teaches Advanced
Legal Research at the UDC David A. Clarke School of Law. Before beginning her
librarianship career at the Rutgers School of Law library in Newark, New Jersey,
Professor Frazer worked as a research fellow at the University of Houston
Institute for Higher Education Law and Governance; taught at the University of
St. Thomas and Nova Schools of Law; clerked for the Honorable James M. Sprouse
(dec.) of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; and practiced law
as an associate attorney at Jones Day in Washington, D.C. She has directed a
legal research and writing program and taught torts and bioethics.
She received a B.A., magna cum laude, and M.A. from the University of Southern California; J.D. from University of California-Davis School of Law; LL.M. from Yale Law School; and M.L.S. from University of Maryland.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Pedagogy of legal research
- Application of technology to law teaching
- Helen Frazer, Can Head Start Be Saved? An Essay in Critical Race Theory accepted for publication by the UDC-DCSL Law Review in the 2014 symposium issue.
- Helen Frazer, Outcome Assessment and Legal Research Pedagogy (with Vicenç Feliú), 31 Legal Reference Services Quarterly 184 (June 2012).
- Helen Frazer, Embedded Librarians: Teaching Legal Research as a Lawyering Skill (with Vicenç Feliú), 61 Journal of Legal Education 540 (May 2012).
Recent Presentations and Activities
- Helen Frazer, Presentation, Can Head Start Be Saved? An Essay in Critical Race Theory, Presentation, UDC Law Review Symposium, April 4, 2014; and Mid-Atlantic People of Color Legal Scholarship Conference 2014, January 25, 2014, University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Helen Frazer, Presentation, Storyboarding a CALI Lesson presentation at the annual conference of the Center for Computer- Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI), June 21, 2012, San Diego, California.
- Helen Frazer, Workshop, Bridge the Legal Research Gap: Law School to Law Practice program for UDC-DCSL students in summer jobs and internships in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia; June 4, 2012, with Gail Mathapo and Brittany Kolonay.