Adjunct Professor of Law
A.B., Brown University; J.D., Emory University School of Law
Debra Cohen has been teaching since 1993. She is visiting UDC-DCSL for 2012-2013 to teach Contracts. She also teaches Business Organizations, Civil Procedure, Consumer Protection, Interviewing and Counseling, Legal Drafting, and Payment Systems. She has also directed Academic Success programs.
Professor Cohen is a tenured processor at the University of Massachusetts School of Law - Dartmouth. She has also served as a tenured member of the faculty at Southern New England School of Law and the West Virginia University College of Law. She has visited at Emory University School of Law, University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law, Roger Williams University School of Law, University of Baltimore School of Law, and Stetson University College of Law. Additionally she taught a course on International Business Transactions at the Universidad de Montevideo.
Professor Cohen graduated with distinction from Emory University School of Law, where she served as an articles editor of the Emory Law Journal and was elected to membership in the Order of the Coif. Before entering teaching, she was a general practice associate at Sullivan & Cromwell, where she focused on mergers and acquisitions, and associate counsel for a children's publisher. She is a member of the Rhode Island and New York Bars.
Professor Cohen is a member of the Computer Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Editorial Board. She also served as a Business Law Fellow and has published several CALI lessonettes including:
- "Are you may Partner? Is this a Partnership? Corporate Opportunity Doctrine"
- "Shareholder Derivative Actions"
- "Shareholder Inspection Rights"
- "Voting Trusts and Voting Agreements"
- "Drafting Contracts Using Shall, May and Must," which was the third prize winner in the 1997 Donald Trautman CALI Lesson Writing Competition (Faculty Division).
Her publications include:
- Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match: An Insider's Guide to the Faculty Hiring Process, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=931995
- Limited Liability Company Citizenship: Reconsidering an Illogical and Inconsistent Choice, 90 Marq. L. Rev. 269 (2006)
- Citizenship of Limited Liability Companies for Diversity Jurisdiction, 6 J. Small & Emerging Bus. L. 435 (2002)
- Competent Legal Writing: A Lawyer's Professional Responsibility, 67 U. Cin. L. Rev. 491 (1999)
- Shall - Take No. 2, 7 Bus. Law today 10 (May/June 1998)
- West Virginia Corporate Law: Is It Broke?, 100 W. Va. L. Rev. 5 (1997)
- The Single Publication Rule: One Action Not One Law, 62 Brook L. Rev. 921 (1996)
Contracts I - Section A (Fall 2012)
Contracts II - Section B (Fall 2012)