Debra R. Cohen
Professor of Law
Director of Academic Success
A.B., Brown University; J.D., Emory University School of Law
Professor Cohen has been teaching since 1993. She teaches Business Organizations, Civil Procedure, Consumer Protection, Contracts, Interviewing and Counseling, Legal Drafting, and Payment Systems. She is also the Director of the Academic Success Program.
Prior to joining UDC, Professor Cohen served as a tenured member of the faculty at the University of Massachusetts School of Law – Dartmouth, Southern New England School of Law and the West Virginia University College of Law. She also visited at Emory University School of Law, University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law, Roger Williams University School of Law, University of Baltimore School of Law, and Stetson University College of Law. Additionally she taught a course on International Business Transactions at the Universidad de Montevideo.
Professor Cohen graduated with distinction from Emory University School of Law, where she served as an articles editor of the Emory Law Journal and was elected to membership in the Order of the Coif. Before entering teaching, she was a general practice associate at Sullivan & Cromwell, where she focused on mergers and acquisitions, and associate counsel for a children's publisher. She is a member of the Rhode Island and New York Bars.
Professor Cohen is a member of the Computer Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Editorial Board. She also served as a Business Law Fellow and has published several CALI lessons including:
- "Are you my Partner? Is this a Partnership? Corporate Opportunity Doctrine"
- "Shareholder Derivative Actions"
- "Shareholder Inspection Rights"
- "Voting Trusts and Voting Agreements"
- "Drafting Contracts Using Shall, May and Must," which was the third prize winner in the 1997 Donald Trautman CALI Lesson Writing Competition (Faculty Division).
Her publications include:
- Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match: An Insider's Guide to the Faculty Hiring Process, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=931995.
- Limited Liability Company Citizenship: Reconsidering an Illogical and Inconsistent Choice, 90 Marq. L. Rev. 269 (2006)
- Citizenship of Limited Liability Companies for Diversity Jurisdiction, 6 J. Small & Emerging Bus. L. 435 (2002)
- Competent Legal Writing: A Lawyer's Professional Responsibility, 67 U. Cin. L. Rev. 491 (1999)
- Shall - Take No. 2, 7 Bus. Law today 10 (May/June 1998)
- West Virginia Corporate Law: Is It Broke?, 100 W. Va. L. Rev. 5 (1997)
- The Single Publication Rule: One Action Not One Law, 62 Brook L. Rev. 921 (1996)